Friday 27 May 2011

30 Days to 30: Day 27


Progress: Had the most intense day of work I have had in a very, very long time. Fridays are always really busy at this job, but this one was particularly stressful. It was all worth it though, as I was asked to interview Donna Karan about the humanitarian work she is doing in Haiti. I had the story all written up from an interview with her PR people, but at the last minute she decided to do a phoner with me herself. I had to scramble to get prepared, but in the end I felt really good about it. 

Mentally: I was very nervous before but afterward I felt inspired and, I know this sounds cheesy, but really empowered as a woman. I had no idea that DK was so intelligent, strong and dedicated to changing the world. Our 30 minute talk (she had so much to say) that barely even-touched on fashion really made me feel charged and 

motivated.



Physically: I had sweaty palms and a red face for the whole two hours I waited for her to call. Yes she called me two hours behind schedule, but I still love her.

Emotionally: It was a really overwhelming day, from the massive amount of work to the nerve-racking interview. I was on such a high after speaking with DK, but when I finished it was 4 on a Friday and I still had so much to do. Finally when I got out of the office I went down into the subway, ran for the train, missed it, and then came the tears. First NYC cry in public since I returned.

Thoughts About Turning 30: It felt like such a good moment in my career today, which makes me feel strong and confident about turning 30, even if I had a bit of a public meltdown.


Photo from here.

No comments: