Monday 10 January 2011

2010 Roundup

Now that I am out of crazy vacation mode (well kinda, I am going to London this weekend) and back in Berlin, I finally have some time to do a little 2010 reflecting. Like I did for the summer, I am going to look back instead of forward for a minute and do a 2010 Roundup. Here are the top 10:

1) Trip of the Year: Paris

One of my favorite things about living in Europe are my dear friends EasyJet and Ryan Air. These guys make traveling to places that used to seem so far away as simple as buying a 50 euro plane ticket. Amazing. With all the magical lands at my finger tips this year, I ended up in Prague, Scotland, Copenhagen, the Baltic Sea, as well as time in New York and San Francisco. But my favorite was by far Paris, a city of decadence and beauty, to which I am already planning my next visit.  
2) Most Popular Blog Entry: Urban Ballerina

Was it not the year of the Ballerina? With Kanye and Black Swan and all — which I finally saw, by the way, and was sadly a bit disappointed. But anyway, people must be into the delicate dancers, because if we are talking numbers this blog entry put the others to shame. Thanks Google.

3) Favorite Meal: Thanksgiving

This year marked my first Thanksgiving outside of the United States and my first attempt at cooking a turkey and all the fixings. If I do say so myself, it turned out quite well and the little party that went along with it was not too shabby either. There is nothing like making a bunch of Germans play charades while stuffing your face with pumpkin pie. 

4) Favorite Hang Out: Valentin Stüberl

Although there were many places I loved spending time this year — BadeschiffGörlitzer, my couch — I will have to bestow the honor on our living room away from home, Valentin Stüberl. Conveniently located in our building, this bar provided many a night cap for Karsten and I. I mean, is there anything more comforting (and possibly worrying) than a bartender who already knows you want a glass of tempranillo and he wants a small beer. It is like our own little Cheers down there. 
5) Favorite Activity: Biking 

I think I really came into my own as a bike rider this year. I rode most possible places in NYC too, but in Berlin it really has become a part of my every day life and well-being. Riding to work has made all the difference, I just feel so much better when I am able to bike. 
6) Outfit of the Year: Cropped Tee and Pleated Trousers

My outfits don't often make it on to the blog, so this one here is certainly not my actual favorite, but it is of the essence. 2010 was the year of the pleated trouser, often paired with a cropped tee. These pants crept into my wardrobe with a vengeance and made a name for themselves as a staple. I have so many pairs, it almost feels like I have been sporting this look forever. Plus, I wanted to get a pic of my dad on here, he might just be Man of the Year. 


7) Favorite Day Date Place: Botanical Gardens and the Zoo

Berlin has plenty of stuff to do that does not involve techno music, late night parties, cafes, ping pong or even beers in the park. Two of my favorite days this year were spent running around the zoo and the botanical gardens — fun for all ages. So yes, your parents could visit (see me and my dad in Berlin above)! 

8) Best 2010 Weekend: May 21 - 23

My friend Julia has visited me in every place I have lived — including the seven months I spent studying abroad in Spain. Yup, she is dedicated. Rightfully so, as we always have so much fun together wherever we may be. And her trip to Berlin last spring with Stu was no exception, the only problem was that it didn't last long enough.  

9)Purchase of the Year: Cat Print

I bought so many clothes this year (too many in fact), that there is really no way to pick a favorite. This is the problem with being a clothing addict, sometimes all the purchases blend together and they lose that special quality that got you addicted in the first place. So I would say the big cat print (that is often in my outfit shots) I found at a flea market, holds the most special place in my heart. I mean, who wouldn't love a 4 ft cat in their living room? Runner up: my Swedish Hasbeens (see pic above).

10) Book of the Year: Just Kids

I read a lot of books this year and maybe Patti Smith's is unfairly taking the crown because it is my most recently finished read. But for a girl who dreams of living in the 60s and 70s, who loves rock n' roll and New York City, this was such a pleasure to read. Patti is a woman like no other and her and Robert Mapplethorpe's story is heartwarming, heart-wrenching and inspiring at the same time. 

4 comments:

Bhushavali said...

That looks like a great 2010!!! Wishing you for a greater 2011!!!
Fashion Panache - Experimenting Leopard Prints

Emilie said...

cool post, I love that video of Kanye - even in the long version :)

xxx

lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for your sweet comment- new follower :) I love the picture of you in Paris and the cat print- so cute! Have a great 2011!

marcel said...

aww meggy. i'm reading just kids right now and i love it.