Monday 1 November 2010

Berlin Weekend Roundup: Halloween!

Halloween is my favorite holiday, well that and Thanksgiving. Makes sense considering I love to dress up and I love to eat. But the thing about those holidays is that they are American, I mean, people do a bit of Halloween here but it is nothing like the States. And I love to go all out, so I was feeling a little envious of my un-expat friends when Facebook was all a-chatter with Halloween happenings. But luckily my British friend Lucy (apparently there is a bit of Halloween in the UK too, but being scary is a requirement rather than the cleverness and irony that the Americans go for) happened to be turning 25 on Friday and threw a Halloween-themed bash at her favorite hangout Maria Pelligro.

I was planning on going as Karl Lagerfeld, but realized it might be a little too weird for the non-hardcore Halloween crowd and considering the amount of navajo print and beaded items I own and the amount of money a used child's costume Tee and headdress costs in comparison to a white wig, I opted for the more generic, more recognizable and more unpolitcally correct Indian Princess (sorry!). But it actually turned out better than I thought and I was still able to go all out. Also to my suprise everyone else seemed to too. I mean, do you see those twins dressed up as Max from Where the Wild Things Are? Amazing.

And speaking of going all out, after Lucy's party, Karsten the gondolier and I headed to Berghain (the biggest and most famous club in Berlin) to see my friend Jay's first DJ gig at the Kantene (a very big deal for him! Congrats!). I haven't had a night out like that in a long time and ended up spending all of Saturday and most of Sunday in bed recovering. Two days is ridic I know, but the latest issue of Vogue came in the mail and I started Jonothan Franzen's new novel Freedom, so I had some great reading material to keep my lazy butt company.

5 comments:

little homie said...

ha my fave two holidays too!

little homie said...

btw you look adorable

Sandra Leiva said...

Nice costumes!! <3

ashley // chasing heartbeats said...

I would have died to see you as Karl! but you rocked the indian princess and looks like you had a great time. Next year I am definitely dressing up, like I said, it killed me to watch all my stateside friends celebrate.
and ps... i definitely need 2 days or atleast a good 1 1/2 days to recover from a late night out. getting older is no fun :(

Lucy said...

So good! You looked amazing and it was so super to have you there. I miss you...see you in a couple of weeks Miss Megan. x