Tuesday 2 March 2010

Top 10 Mispronounced Foodie Words

On a lighter note, today when I was at my friends house using her Internet she was also kind enough to make me lunch. When the yummy vegetable medley appeared in front of me there was one item that I didn't quite recognize (have you ever had a cooked endive? not bad), and she wasn't sure what it was called in English. After we figured out what it was I said the name out loud and for a second I thought I was pronouncing it wrong, which then led me to think about other foods I mispronounce, then totally randomly I just came across this:

  1. Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
  2. Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
  3. Gyro (YEER-oh)
  4. Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
  5. Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
  6. Mole (MOH-lay)
  7. Paczki (POONCH-key)
  8. Pho (fuh)
  9. Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
  10. Sake (SAH-kay) 
I definitely mispronounce at least three of those and don't even know what at least two of them are. Heavens I guess I am not the foodie I thought I was. 

No comments: