Wednesday 4 February 2009

L is for Laos


My brother will be returning from a three month excursion in Thailand in the next few days. I cannot wait to finally be able to talk to him once again and of course despite my rabid jealousy, hear all about it. He is coming to NYC for a visit and will probably die of hypothermia, but I can’t wait. Anyway, it’s got me thinking about that part of the world. I have always been intrigued by the sad history and extreme beauty of Thailand’s neighbors Vietnam and Laos. They are now great tourist attractions but still with skeletons of the war:

More than two-million tons of bombs were dropped on Laos during the Vietnam War, making it the most heavily bombed country in history. More than 270 million cluster bombs were dropped. With an average failure rate of 30 percent, experts say about 80 million unexploded cluster bombs remain scattered throughout the country. Many are buried just below the surface, making farming a potentially life-threatening activity in affected areas. So sad.

Read more here.

1 comment:

maria oeste said...

You should watch the No Reservations when Anthony goes to Laos. You'll REALLY want to go!