Thursday 24 November 2011

My Shopping Addiction May Have Ruined Thanksgiving….

Well that could be a bit of an exaggeration, as sadly I am not even in the States (and I might love Thanksgiving even more than I love Halloween. Boo.), so there is not much to ruin. But still I had a little something special planned here in Manchester: I was going to make a pumpkin pie for the first time and the boy was going to taste a pumpkin pie for the first time. And knowing that I'm sad to be missing Thanksgiving and that a lone pie doesn't necessarily cut it, he made a reservation at a special restaurant for tonight at eight.

But back to the pie. Since I just got back from my second trip to Glasgow (still no baby!) last night, there was no time to grocery shop until today. My only possession was the hardest to obtain ingredient, a can of Libby's pumpkin, which I found at a little Mexican/American specialty shop in Glasgow. An amazing find, as pumpkin pie is solely an American dessert, but little did I know it would be the easiest.

So today, which was actually quite beautiful, I headed out to get the rest of what I needed. Maybe it was the blue skies that were distracting me, but more likely it was all the little shops in Manchester's Northern Quarter. There are so many cute little places around here, and I feel like every time I leave the house I notice a new one. So I wandered in and out of some and spent too much time at a certain terrible/wonderful place where I was really just looking for a pie dish, I swear. And before I new it, it was well into the afternoon. This is why stores should be closed on Thanksgiving even outside the US, right? 

But I still thought I was fine, if I was home by 3 that would give me more than enough time to bake a pie before our dinner reservation. But then I picked up the pastry dough and to my great horror it was frozen! In no way did I factor defrosting time into the equation (maybe that is what I get for not making the dough from scratch or knowing absolutely nothing about pie making?). Shit. 

So I hurried home and now as I write, I am waiting and staring at this piece of dough on the counter hoping all that ice will melt away before it is too late. But you know, at least I am the proud owner of a hot little leather (maybe fake [probably fake {definitely fake}]) dress, a beaded top and a little polka dot Alexa Chung-esque number that will never make me as happy as the taste of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Waah.

Well I have certainly learned my lesson and hopefully it will all work out in the end. Melt little guy melt! But either way, I want to wish you all a very very Happy Thanksgiving from abroad. Hopefully you are surrounded by plenty of loved ones, plenty of food and wine, and plenty of comfy couches. Oh triptafen.

No comments: