Tuesday 30 June 2009

Well Done Sam Mendes


Last night I had a movie date night and not only was it nice to relax after the crazy packed weekend we had, but I was also pleasantly surprised by the film Away We Go. I knew it was going to be a sweet indie hipster love story (which I do like) but never did I expect to find myself in such hysterics that I blushed with embarrassment over my lack of ability to stop laughing. Thank God for dark theaters. I guess I should have guessed it with SNL's Maya Rudolph and The Office's John Krasinski as the leads — who not only did an amazing job making me laugh but also at telling the darker side of the plot. Leave it to Dave Eggers, of course, to write a screenplay with the perfect mix of humor and seriousness.

Knowing it was written by him was my reason for wanting to see it, but it wasn't until the credits rolled that I realized it was directed by Sam Mendes. Kate Winslet's husband was also behind Revolutionary Road, another film I watched and loved recently. Although they both tackled a bit of the my-life-turned-out-different-than-I-thought-it-would theme, I had the complete opposite reaction to each. Instead of the uncontrollable laughter of Away We Go, Revolutionary Road caused a massive amount of uncontrollable tears, followed by a day of depression. Sounds bad I know, but if a movie has that much of an affect on me, I have to love it. So for obviously different reasons, I highly recommend both films.

No comments: