Thursday 10 September 2009

If I Wasn't Happy, This Would Do the Trick

Paul Simon always does...

I have been having some pretty intense nightmares lately. I think it is a result of the anxiety over returning to the States (thank God I still have a month and half till that dreaded day) coupled with the fact that I am reading a pretty gruesome book about Nazi Germany. But I had a really sweet revelation the other night after waking up in a cold sweat before I was to be attacked by a posse of infested rats.

You see, during the unhappy stages of my life, I would often dream of the scenarios I longed for - living in a beautiful place surrounded and inspired by people I love. Then I would wake and the reality of my actual life would set in and all I would want to do is go back to sleep. So the other night, despite my sweat soaked shirt and pumping chest, it was a great feeling to wake from that dream and be back in my life, happy with where I was and what I would face in the morning. It’s nice to realize your life is better than your dreams – it's a liberating feeling, almost like you are walking with diamonds on the soles of your shoes.

No comments: